Barkley Project Group is experienced in managing the technical studies and consultations to obtain authorizations and licenses for independent hydropower projects. These projects are being developed in response to BC Hydro’s Standing Offer Program and Remote Community Electrification Program in British Columbia, and to supply clean energy to communities and industry in Northern British Columbia and Yukon.
Key permits and authorizations required for independent hydropower projects in British Columbia typically include:
- Provincial water license and land tenure
- Fisheries Act authorization
- Canadian Environmental Assessment Act decision
- British Columbia Environmental Assessment Act Certificate (> 50 MW)
- Electricity purchase agreement (EPA) with BC Hydro
Barkley Project Group has provided the technical and management services to support the development of 40 independent hydropower projects, including helping clean energy producers to locate, scope, design and license their projects. This process includes:
- Identifying suitable hydropower generating sites based on potential power generation, infrastructure requirements and site-specific opportunities and constraints
- Conducting feasibility assessments to evaluate power generation potential, economics, and regulatory permitting risk
- Liaison and consultation with First Nations, regulatory agencies, utilities, stakeholders and the public
- Coordinating technical studies of hydrology, archaeology, environmental assessment and engineering
- Working with regulatory agencies to obtain permits, licenses and authorizations
- Tendering for project services, equipment and construction
- Planning and support for obtaining government funding and capital expenditures financing
- Supervision and monitoring of project construction and operations.
Specializing in hydropower projects, including Standing Offer Program applications, Barkley Project Group is unique in project management consulting in the hydropower / renewable clean energy sector. Our firm has managed all aspects of project development, construction and operations, and this experience enhances the value we provide to our clients.
Barkley Project Group is the contract Operations Manager for the 5.5 MW Canoe Creek Hydro
project on Vancouver Island.